MartinLogan - April 16, 2012
- Parent Category: Company Tours Company Tours
The panels from the stator-preparation area get . . .
. . . stacked in the stator-panel building area for assembly.
The assembly technician carefully inspects pairs of stator panels to ensure a perfect front and back match. These stator panels are for an ElectroMotion ESL loudspeaker.
The matched panels are then pushed one by one through a rolling machine that . . .
. . . gently curves each panel to a precise radius. The curve radius for the front and back panels differ, so the assembly technician must . . .
. . . measure each to verify the radius and then . . .
. . . visually inspect the panels to ensure their holes line up perfectly.
Various kinds of tapes are applied to the stator panels for different reasons. Kapton tape is applied in specific spots to ensure the electrical charge doesn't "escape."
A clear tape is used to protect the diaphragm from dust.
VHB (Very High Bond) tape is used to hold the panels together. MartinLogan's production manager explained to us that VHB's bond is so strong after it sets that if you try to pull the two panels apart you will end up twisting and damaging the metal before the tape lets go.
MartinLogan places "spars" across each stator at precisely spaced intervals to suspend the diaphragm between the stators.
Most-Read Last 90 Days
- The Needle and the Damage Done: Mobile Fidelity's DSD Scandal
- Return of a Legend: Upgrading with the Paradigm Monitor SE 8000F Loudspeakers
- MoFi . . . Just Another Record
- The DALI Kore Loudspeaker Experience: To Copenhagen and Beyond
- Denmark’s DALI Expands Its Global Hi-Fi Reach—Factory Tour and Observations
- Mobile Fidelity and Walking Through the Vinyl Jungle
- The Joys of DIY Audio
- The UK in SoCal for the Bowers & Wilkins 700 Series 3 Launch—Looking and Listening
- CanJam SoCal 2022: Headphones, Part 2
- CanJam SoCal 2022: Earphones
- CanJam SoCal 2022: Headphones, Part 1
- Michi On a Budget?: Celebrating 60 Years of Rotel With the Diamond Series RA-6000 Integrated Amplifier-DAC and DT-6000 DAC/CD Transport