MartinLogan - April 16, 2012
- Parent Category: Company Tours Company Tours
Stator-Panel Building: Part 1
The panels from the stator-preparation area get . . .
. . . stacked in the stator-panel building area for assembly.
The assembly technician carefully inspects pairs of stator panels to ensure a perfect front and back match. These stator panels are for an ElectroMotion ESL loudspeaker.
The matched panels are then pushed one by one through a rolling machine that . . .
. . . gently curves each panel to a precise radius. The curve radius for the front and back panels differ, so the assembly technician must . . .
. . . measure each to verify the radius and then . . .
. . . visually inspect the panels to ensure their holes line up perfectly.
Various kinds of tapes are applied to the stator panels for different reasons. Kapton tape is applied in specific spots to ensure the electrical charge doesn't "escape."
A clear tape is used to protect the diaphragm from dust.
VHB (Very High Bond) tape is used to hold the panels together. MartinLogan's production manager explained to us that VHB's bond is so strong after it sets that if you try to pull the two panels apart you will end up twisting and damaging the metal before the tape lets go.
MartinLogan places "spars" across each stator at precisely spaced intervals to suspend the diaphragm between the stators.
Most-Read Last 90 Days
- The Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2023, Part 2
- Montreal Audiofest 2023 Product Coverage: Bryston, Simaudio, Totem Acoustic, Luxman
- Montreal Audiofest 2023: Nagra, Wilson Audio, and Siltech Shoot Sparks out of Jason Thorpe
- Montreal Audiofest 2023 Product Coverage: Fonica International, Diptyque, GoldenEar, Angela-Gilbert Yeung, Heaven 11
- The Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2023, Part 1
- Montreal Audiofest 2023: They Have a Robot!
- Montreal Audiofest 2023: Canadian-Sensation Stable 33.33
- Montreal Audiofest 2023: A Flurry of MartinLogans
- Montreal Audiofest 2023: About PS Audio and Fence-Sharing
- Montreal Audiofest 2023: Keeping It Real
- Audio Show East 2023
- The Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2023, Part 3
- Making Acquaintances with Kharma’s Elegance dB7-S Loudspeakers
- Thom’s Top Turntables Today
- New Noise #8: Audio Oopsies