High End 2022 - Munich, Germany
- Written by Jonathan Gorse Jonathan Gorse
- Parent Category: Shows-Events Shows-Events
- Created: 21 May 2022 21 May 2022
Approximate system cost: €250,000.
SME debuted its flagship SME Model 60 turntable, paired with the immense Avantgarde Trio active loudspeaker system to deliver a powerful sound with incredible levels of detail and precision. That wonderful, breathy quality of the saxophone; the subtle nuance of brushed drums in the hands of a master percussionist; and the metallic shimmer of a struck cymbal reinforced the feeling that one was in the presence of greatness. This didn’t feel like listening to a recording; it had all the visceral thrill and vitality of a live performance in an auditorium. The SME Model 60 is the stuff of dreams, a magical creation from the greatest turntable and tonearm engineers of them all. Watch SoundStage! Ultra for the upcoming review.
Senior Contributor, SoundStage!
Most-Read Last 90 Days
- Michi On a Budget?: Celebrating 60 Years of Rotel With the Diamond Series RA-6000 Integrated Amplifier-DAC and DT-6000 DAC/CD Transport
- The Joys of DIY Audio
- The UK in SoCal for the Bowers & Wilkins 700 Series 3 Launch—Looking and Listening
- Hans's New Digs: Living Room System—Focal, NAD, and KEF
- CanJam SoCal 2022: Headphones, Part 2
- New Noise #6: A Fall Arriving
- One Day at Toronto Audiofest 2022
- CanJam SoCal 2022: Headphones, Part 1
- CanJam SoCal 2022: Earphones
- Audio Video Show 2022: Silent Pound’s Challenger Speaker Is Something Special or Shite
- Audio Video Show 2022: The Most Beautiful Speakers in the World
- Audio Video Show 2022: Aretai’s Arm-Twisting Contra 100S Loudspeaker Snags the Runner-up Spot
- Audio Video Show 2022: Pre-Show Warsaw Quickie—Ferrum Audio Factory Tour
- Audio Video Show 2022: Understanding the Three Locations to Better Understand the Show
- Audio Video Show 2022: The Bargain of the Show So Far