JL Audio - February 23, 2011
- Parent Category: Company Tours Company Tours
JL Audio has extensive in-house manufacturing capabilities, including a large woodworking area. There were numerous computer numerically controlled (CNC) milling machines in use during our visit. Various types of wood -- MDF, HDF, plywood, etc. -- were in evidence, and stacks of finished parts were everywhere. JL likes to build as much as they can in-house. In fact, we learned that JL Audio even makes much of the furniture being used within the company offices!
On the day we visited, the machines were busily cranking out the MDF mounting boards used to transport W7 woofer drivers. These boards make it easier for customers to remove the drivers from their boxes and safely mount them in place.
The CNC machines ensure accurate cutting tolerances for the various parts that go into the JL Audio speaker cabinets.
Cut MDF is used for a variety of JL Audio speaker products, including the carpeted enclosures used for many of their automobile subwoofer cabinets.
The newest JL Audio home subwoofer systems, the in-wall IWS-SYS-1 ($4500) and IWS-SYS-2 ($7500), are seen here shortly after assembly. What might look like a simple box in finished form is actually quite complex. A closer look inside reveals . . .
. . . the honeycomb bracing system that keeps the thin-walled plywood cabinets stiff and resonance free. If you look closely, you can even see channels that are routed out of the wood for the cabling to run through. The labor involved in producing the in-wall subwoofers is as extensive as it is impressive.
Most-Read Last 90 Days
- High End 2022: Jeff's Hot Takes
- High End 2022 Sights and Sounds: Magico
- High End 2022 Product Coverage: Rockport Technologies, VPI Industries, Audio Research, Göbel High End, and Marten
- High End 2022 Product Coverage: TriangleArt, Simaudio Moon, Lehmannaudio, Pro-Ject, Monitor Audio, Mission
- SME Model 60 Flagship Turntable Launch!
- High End 2022 Sights and Sounds: TechDAS, CH Precision, Rockport Technologies
- High End 2022 Product Coverage: Gryphon Audio Designs, SVS, Goldmund, Aavik Acoustics, Penaudio, and Verity Audio
- High End 2022 Product Coverage: T+A, Epos, DALI, Vivid Audio, Focal, and Naim
- High End 2022 Sights and Sounds: Nagra, Wilson Audio
- High End 2022 Product Coverage: System Audio, Hegel Music Systems, Electrocompaniet, Gryphon Audio Designs, and Perlisten Audio
- High End 2022 Product Coverage: MSB Technology, Siltech, Crystal Cable, Audiovector, and Estelon
- High End 2022 Sights and Sounds: Absolare, Rockport Technologies
- High End 2022 Sights and Sounds: Living Voice, SJS, Kuzma
- High End 2022 Sights and Sounds: Monitor Audio, Roksan
- High End 2022 Sights and Sounds: SME, Avantgarde