RMAF 2012 - Denver, USA
- Written by Jeff Fritz Jeff Fritz
- Parent Category: RMAF 2012 RMAF 2012
- Created: 13 October 2012 13 October 2012
Show One -- value abounds: The Resonessence Labs Concero DAC is priced at $599. It uses an ESS Sabre DAC chip and has an asynchronous USB input. It comes in . . .
. . . a small chassis that is machined from solid aluminum. From a value standpoint, it is definitely priced right.
Another example is the new 8008 amplifier from the reborn Aragon brand. This amplifier is heavy hardware, about 80 pounds apiece, and is packed with huge power supplies and up-to-date connectivity all dressed in a solid-aluminum chassis. For four grand, this also passes the smell test as being priced appropriately for what it offers. RMAF 2012 is definitely the place to put together a real high-end system for under $10,000 total.
Show Two -- on the other hand: The new Zellaton Studio Reference One loudspeakers are priced at $52,750/pr. The speakers have two drivers per cabinet and, oh, those cabinets are made of wood. Does that math work for you? Maybe they are fine loudspeakers, but why do they cost so much? I just don't get it.
Show Three -- MIA?: So up to now we have, one, a great bounty of value-oriented, high-performance audio gear and, two, some extremely high-priced gear that defies logic from a pricing standpoint. I hope it doesn't end there. My goal for tomorrow is simple: find the third act, the state-of-the-art-type equipment that I think is worth the price . . . regardless of what that price is. I hope I'm successful.
Editor-in-Chief, The SoundStage! Network
Most-Read Last 90 Days
- Michi On a Budget?: Celebrating 60 Years of Rotel With the Diamond Series RA-6000 Integrated Amplifier-DAC and DT-6000 DAC/CD Transport
- The Joys of DIY Audio
- The UK in SoCal for the Bowers & Wilkins 700 Series 3 Launch—Looking and Listening
- Hans's New Digs: Living Room System—Focal, NAD, and KEF
- CanJam SoCal 2022: Headphones, Part 2
- New Noise #6: A Fall Arriving
- One Day at Toronto Audiofest 2022
- CanJam SoCal 2022: Headphones, Part 1
- CanJam SoCal 2022: Earphones
- Audio Video Show 2022: Silent Pound’s Challenger Speaker Is Something Special or Shite
- Audio Video Show 2022: The Most Beautiful Speakers in the World
- Audio Video Show 2022: Aretai’s Arm-Twisting Contra 100S Loudspeaker Snags the Runner-up Spot
- Audio Video Show 2022: Pre-Show Warsaw Quickie—Ferrum Audio Factory Tour
- Audio Video Show 2022: Understanding the Three Locations to Better Understand the Show
- Audio Video Show 2022: The Bargain of the Show So Far