High End 2018 - Munich, Germany
- Written by Al Griffin Al Griffin
- Parent Category: High End 2018 High End 2018
- Created: 12 May 2018 12 May 2018
High End 2018: Marantz KI Ruby
Marantz is using the occasion of High End 2018 to release its new SA-KI Ruby SACD player and PM-KI Ruby integrated amplifier. The KI in there stands for Ken Ishiwata, the company’s brand ambassador, who is celebrating his 40th anniversary with Marantz (hence, the Ruby designation).
An audiophile and engineer with extraordinary fashion sense, Ken has been involved with the design process for many Marantz components. Models with KI’s imprimatur get special attention, however, and many go on to become collector’s items.
The SA-KI Ruby SACD player plays SACDs, CDs, and data discs containing high-resolution audio files. It also features a USB Type-B port for a computer connection, and its DAC can handle up to 32-bit/384kHz PCM and DSD256 files. All PCM signals are converted to the DSD format using Marantz Musical Mastering, a process that involves filtering, oversampling, noise shaping, and dithering.
Accompanying the new SACD player is the PM-KI Ruby integrated amplifier, which is rated to deliver 100Wpc into 8 ohms or 200Wpc into 4 ohms. The PM-KI Ruby features a high-performance built-in moving-magnet / moving-coil phono preamp and a heavy-duty aluminum front panel and chassis. Both units feature Ishiwata’s signature on the front, of course, alongside an embedded ruby. They are expected to cost €4000 each when released.
Senior Editor, SoundStage!
Most-Read Last 90 Days
- Hans's Main Stereo System: KEF, Hegel, Siltech
- From Microsub to Tactical Nuke: Living with Perlisten's D15s Subwoofer
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: TAD’s Compact Evolution One—Concentric Excellence
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: Soundfield Audio’s Obelisk T710—The Most Ambitious Loudspeaker System at the Show
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: High-End, Very High-End, and Extremely High-End Loudspeakers—Børresen Acoustics, MC Audiotech, and Acora Acoustics
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: A Study in Speaker Contrasts—Endow Audio Bravura 12 and Clarisys Audio Minuet
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: Orchard Audio, M101, Shunyata Research, MSB Technology, and Coastal Source
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: Four-Figure Gear in a Sea of Unobtanium—Soulnote, Diptyque Audio, Audia Flight, Unison Audio, and Moonriver Audio
- The Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2023, Part 2
- The Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2023, Part 1
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: Introduction Plus Focal and Naim Audio Product Coverage
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: Pro-Ject Audio Systems, Rotel, RME, and Falcon Acoustics Product Coverage
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: Avantgarde Acoustic’s Duo GT—High-End Horns from the House of Stereo
- The Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2023, Part 3
- New Noise #8: Audio Oopsies