Audio Research - March 13, 2014
- Written by Doug Schneider Doug Schneider
- Parent Category: Company Tours Company Tours
- Created: 13 March 2014 13 March 2014
Audio Research Board Assembly
Insofar as high-end hi-fi companies go, Audio Research is a fairly big one -- it has a large factory, plenty of products, and numerous skilled employees. The reason they're skilled is that all the products are effectively handmade -- there's no robotic assembly or similar kind of automation to be seen on the factory floor. Even circuit boards are populated and soldered by hand in what's called the board assembly area, which was the first place I visited when I toured the factory.
Board populating for a Reference 250 mono amplifier.
While board assembly requires exacting precision, Audio Research clearly welcomes creativity and personal expression in the workspace itself. Wendy has been working with the company for 21 years and is said to be obsessed with Christmas -- obviously. She is shown populating a Reference 250 audio board.
Stuffed boards awaiting soldering.
The underside of a board ready for soldering.
Where serious soldering happens.
Workers have a sample board on hand to work from when soldering new ones.
Board soldering for a Reference 10 preamplifier.
Board soldering for a Reference 5 SE preamplifier.
Surface-mount components call for micro soldering. This technician is working on a DSPre digital board.
Board cleaning after soldering a DSPre board.
Due to the handmade nature of Audio Research's products, holders are created for the various board types.
Publisher, The SoundStage! Network
Most-Read Last 90 Days
- Hans's Main Stereo System: KEF, Hegel, Siltech
- From Microsub to Tactical Nuke: Living with Perlisten's D15s Subwoofer
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: TAD’s Compact Evolution One—Concentric Excellence
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: Soundfield Audio’s Obelisk T710—The Most Ambitious Loudspeaker System at the Show
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: High-End, Very High-End, and Extremely High-End Loudspeakers—Børresen Acoustics, MC Audiotech, and Acora Acoustics
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: A Study in Speaker Contrasts—Endow Audio Bravura 12 and Clarisys Audio Minuet
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: Orchard Audio, M101, Shunyata Research, MSB Technology, and Coastal Source
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: Four-Figure Gear in a Sea of Unobtanium—Soulnote, Diptyque Audio, Audia Flight, Unison Audio, and Moonriver Audio
- The Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2023, Part 2
- The Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2023, Part 1
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: Introduction Plus Focal and Naim Audio Product Coverage
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: Pro-Ject Audio Systems, Rotel, RME, and Falcon Acoustics Product Coverage
- Florida International Audio Expo 2023: Avantgarde Acoustic’s Duo GT—High-End Horns from the House of Stereo
- The Bristol Hi-Fi Show 2023, Part 3
- New Noise #8: Audio Oopsies